Saturday 19 March 2011

Midnight Brownies

Last night, I decided to whip up some homemade brownies after my favourite former Terrier blueliner told me the other night he had baked some. (Yeah ... a brownie-baking hockey player. He exists!)

A midnight pilgrimage to Sobeys was in order, as I didn't have any brown sugar on hand, and this recipe calls for a cup. This is my mom's brownie recipe and it is probably the best brownie on earth.

It's from a cookbook called Nuts About Chocolate. (I highly recommend this cookbook if you are at all into chocolate/baking. Nom nom nom.)

An old friend joined me and we enjoyed the coffee (you need a smidge of coffee for the frosting .. so I made a pot and we chatted over a 2 a.m. cup of joe) -- the whole house smelled like brownies for a quite a while after this.

Money Back Guarantee Brownies
2 sticks butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3 large eggs
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts (optional)

  • Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9″x13″ pan
  • In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, sugars and cocoa powder
  • Beat in the eggs, one at a time (I did mine all at once ... sue me.)
  • Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and mix to combine
  • Stir in the vanilla and nuts and mix well
  • Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until JUST firm in the center. The tester may still have a few crumbs. Err on the side of underbaking
  • Cool in the pan
  • Ice with Incredible Chocolate Icing
 
Last night I couldn't find any walnuts, but I found some peanut butter chips and leftover mini peanut butter cups (they're from Superstore. Go buy some immediately and throw them in your next batch of peanut butter cookies. No joke. Do it.)

I cooled these outside, then made the icing :)

Incredible Chocolate Icing

1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup icing sugar
2/3 cup cocoa

Combine above 3 ingredients in a food processor or with an electric mixer.

1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp hot coffee

Add liquid and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment