Tuesday 1 March 2011

And now for the Nitty Gritty!

My first official hockey post!

I'll start off by explaining that I'm currently an Oilers fan. They used to be my second-favourite team, but the Leafs and I aren't speaking at the moment ... I don't hate them, but we're not on speaking terms (due to Dion-related differences in opinion) and thus, the lousy Oilers have been elevated to first-favourite status.

Having been a Leafs fan for 11 years, I'm no stranger to basement-dwelling ... however, the wonderful part about cheering for the Oilers is that a) they don't trade away their draft picks and b) they're amassing quite the collection of good, young up-and-coming talent. Eberle-Cogliano-Hall is one of the most talented lines in the league (with the exception of Tampa's powerplay .. but really .. Vinny, Marty, Stamkos .... that's just golden.)

Anyway, my first hockey post is the post-mortem after trade deadline day. I'm not going to re-hash the same old crap everyone else has already said ... my post is about this little tidbit. Apparently, yesterday was the most-watched EVER deadline day coverage on TSN. Really.

Most-watched deadline day

Now, if you're an Oilers fan, and wanted to sit around all day wondering if Dead-monton could manage to pull off anything decent, that's great. I refreshed the Trade Centre page on TSN.ca a few times, but got bored around 2 p.m. after wearing out my clicking finger only to repeatedly see nothing new hour after hour.

Am I happy the freeloading, lazy, over-paid Dustin Penner was sent packing? You bet your boots. Colten Teubert is a welcome addition to the young troops in the frigid little northern Alberta town. And good riddance, Penner. (And no, I don't hate him because he's a Manitoban. He was a freeloader in Anaheim and continued to disappoint me once he became an Oiler.)

The fact of the matter is ... I must say, yesterday had to have been one of the most boring deadline days in the history of hockey. Really. So, it begs the question -- who the heck (other than Down Goes Brown, of course) actually sat there watching it!?

Don't tell my good-looking friend who works at TSN ... but I'd say this year was nothing short of a disappointment. Imagine how many people would watch if the NHL had been a buzzing hive of activity! However, unfortunately, in post-salary-cap hockey, we no longer have the ridiculous flurry we once had. And the Rangers ruined all my fun by making their annual idiotic deadline move BEFORE deadline day. (And I like McCabe!)

Also. One more thing. While I'm glad to see my hometown boy, Steve Weiss, stayed in Florida, I'm a little curious as to what's happening down there in South Florida. With only 9 players inked for next season and a payroll sitting a whopping 20-mil south of the league minimum, kinda makes ya wonder what the future has in store. (Interestingly, the Habs also have only 9 guys on the hook next season, but their cap number sits at about double Florida's ... for more on cap stats, visit Cap Geek.

And one more thing! Since I mentioned the two Steve's from Markham (Weisser and Stamkos) I should also mention - Markham, Ontario's Raffi Torres scored the game winner tonight in the shoot-out for the Canucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment