Sunday 4 September 2011

LI Ink?

How would you like to get inked while watching the Isles? Sounds bizarre, but it's true. The New York Islanders have paired up with a local tattoo shop to provide fans with the experience of getting tatted while catching the game.


Tattoo Lou's will be setting up shop at Nassau for ten home games this season (which they've touted on their website to include Ranger games) at a venue in the arena called "The Penalty Box." Merch and swag will be for sale as well as the opportunity to get a tat, piercing or temporary body art. Don't worry ... if you get inked during the game, it's shown inside the shop on CC television for your viewing pleasure, so you don't have to miss a minute of the action.

I thought some of the designs are kind of cool ... like the one here, with an outline of Long Island. I love city repping -- St. Louis Blues forward Chris Stewart has a very cool piece on his forearm that bears the Toronto city skyline. (Brother Anthony once asked him, "Can you put me right over here walking Dexter?" ... little brother's reply? Umm no.)

This got me wondering about some other cool ideas for hockey tattoos. I have only one tat myself, and of course, it's a hockey tattoo. I have the quintessential Hockey Canada logo. While this may sound unoriginal and boring, I thought about it for five years before I actually got it done, and wanted to make sure it was something I was getting done just for me. I don't typically tend to show it to people, or tell them I have one, it's just for me. And I know it's there, representing two things I truly love and value, hockey, and the greatest country in the world.

I'm super glad I never got a Leafs tattoo ... since I'm not speaking to them at the moment and all. I do recall a few players having some interesting pieces ... I know Rick Nash has a few, here are some that I found.

The lovely and wonderful Brent Burns, who is from my hometown of Toronto, and is the same age as me -- he played junior A when I was in Grade 11, and I remember going to see him play a few times. He apparently also has some others on his back that look like some bunch of his pets or animals of some description?

Here is one of another one of my Toronto boys, and former Team Canada member, Raffi Torres, with this awkward, super Yankee-fied eagle thing. I can't post photos today, blogger has been giving me grief for the last hour and a half and refusing to post anything. So you'll have to fend for yourself and click here ...

And for another one of my favourite people, the veritable sweetheart, Arron Asham, who actually has a number of tatties, however only one can be seen in this photo with some of his former (Flyer) teammates. The one on his arm there is a chief in headdress paying homage to his Métis roots. Asham is probably one of the nicest guys I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and while he LOOKS super scary, he's actually a super sweet guy, very humble and a real pleasure to be around.

Ovechkin has some gross tramp stamp on himself ... not even going to link to a photo of his disgusting mug. Good thing he's unreal at hockey, he's got a face not even a mother could love. Gross.

Not sure I'd get another hockey tat ... and even less sure I'd get one at a game, but when in Long Island, I would definitely get a nice little heart with my second-husband's initials in it JT ;)

Do you have a hockey tat? What does it look like? Or what would it look like if you did have one?

No comments:

Post a Comment