Sunday 23 October 2011

Fall Delights

I always tell people that winter is my favourite season. I love the snow, and the way the sun sparkles off it on a crisp, cool day. I love the way the sky looks on a snowy, cloudy winter night when it's all hazy and purplish blue.

But there are definitely some things that I adore about fall. I am a huge fan of fall colours, both on the trees, and in fashion. I love the way food changes in the fall, when you get to start having hearty meals again, with lots of flavours and seasonings.

And there are some special desserts, like pumpkin pie, you can only get at this time of year.

Another fun part about fall is Hallowe'en! I went to an engagement party last night way out in the country, which was Hallowe'en theme, and since I had hockey before, I needed something I could put on easily and quickly so I wouldn't waste time when I was arriving.

I picked up a feathered mask for a couple bucks at a dollar store, in teal and purple with some gold detailing on it. I matched it with a teal top I have, and some grey dress pants. I made a little "wand" of sorts, where I glued together about six peacock feathers, wrapped the stems in deep teal ribbon and had some small ribbons dangling from the bottom. I affixed some small feathers to the bottom of some ribbons with a glue gun. I got a pair of black elbow-length gloves and did my makeup in teal with giant thick mascara eye-lashes.

I finished off the look with some dollar-store gem stickers placed on the outer corners of my eyes. Everyone loved it, and I only spent about 20 bucks putting it together.

Christmas things are starting to appear, but I try to wait until November 1 before I start getting too crazy with that stuff. Although, now is a good time to head to the dollar store and pick up your wrapping paper because if you're like me (and obsessive about Christmas & everything being perfect) you will want to get there before all the good stuff is gone. So I did buy two rolls of paper.

I also have been putting together a package to send to my friend who is teaching in a northern community. I wanted to grab some things she could have for herself, and also some items to give to her students. I included some craft supplies and the like, hoping maybe my crafty knack will rub off on some of the kids?

Speaking of which, my mom and I are entered in a Gingerbread House contest, which will be put up for sale at a Christmas bazzar after they are judged, with the proceeds going to charity. We decided on a "Winter Wonderland" theme for our house (which must be made using a kit) and I'm still in the planning stages, but I'm dreaming of rolled fondant, iridescent paint, powdered sugar and a yogurt-pretzel fence.

At the rink:

This week at beer league, after the game, I was surprised to see none other than The Body, who had returned from Sweden for some reason? He's playing pro over there with some guy Johan hooked JD up with this summer at the hockey school. Nice to see the boys makin' er overseas. Speaking of which, I recently was pointed in the direction of a blog featuring an interview with none other than former Aurora Tigers star netminder, Chris Whitley, who is playing in Great Britain this season. Check out the interview with Chris here.

 Things aren't going so well for my team -- ever since coach left, the team has been playing quite poorly, we have won one game in overtime against the worst team in the league. There is starting to be quite a fair bit of unrest amongst the players, and I think things will only get worse before they get better.

I'm also happy to see the Jets doing miserably. I laugh. Ha.

Winnipeg you got your team back, so quit whining about how much they suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment