Thursday 11 August 2011

Welcome back, sports fans!

Contrary to popular belief around a north Scarborough arena, I am not dead. Just hibernating. Foxes tend to do that during the off-season.

Over the last few weeks, I have finished my novel (clocked in around 56,000 words ... not bad for a first attempt! I'll talk more about that in another post), been at the cottage, seen a few NHL players, narrowly missed meeting another (much to my dismay), shot a national championship for a sport that isn't hockey, shot beer league, and finally outted myself from being under-cover with a bunch of hockey players in chat forum as being ... gasp A GIRL.

At this point, I'm ready for training camp to start. Unfortunately, that won't be happening until the 29th. But at least I have a team! That's right. I have signed on to work with a Junior A team here in town, with one of my lovely wonderful friends as the head coach, which I'm sure will be an excellent experience.

Last week, I spent my evenings in Rexdale (and lived to tell about it, no less) with my camera, a bunch of smelly kids and had an amazing time working with the Ontario Basketball Association as a volunteer communications team member. I had the opportunity to watch Team Ontario take gold in both the U15 and U17 tournaments, see San Antonio Spurs draft pick (and fellow Toronto boy) Cory Joseph.

I creeped on Joel Ward, made a new friend who plays in the AHL, saw an old friend from high school I haven't seen in nine years, whipped up some great quick meals and got a call for an interview for a really great job ... caveat: it's out of town.

Two and a half weeks left in MY off-season ... don't know how you NHL-only people do it. Hockey ended about two months ago, and I'm ready to start'er back up. Puck drops in less than one month, Sept. 10 for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment