Tuesday 12 April 2011

Shinny ... no $h!t?

Last spring, I was covering the two national junior hockey chapmionships (Royal Bank Cup and Memorial Cup) aka hanging out with people from CTV, Hockey Canada, TSN2, Sportsnet and creeping on the likes of Taylor Hall, Brayden Schenn, Travis Hamonic and Ryan Ellis (squee. Captain Canada!) ... and this spring, I am at frickin' shinny?

Not that I'm overly rattled about it -- I got to check out a new rink, shoot under some different lighting conditions (mid-day sun pouring through numerous windows out onto the ice surface) and got a couple winks from the goaltender.

When I first arrived at my first-ever shinny experience, I was a little awkward ... I mean, am I supposed to sit in the stands (which I never do) or up in the warm part (also never do that) but I eventually settled in at my usual post in an arena, which is somewhere near the goal line in the corner by the end boards.

Being that it is now spring (hello playoff hockey!) I rocked a thin cream-coloured sweater (scored this last spring, end-of-season sale .. $4) with grey dress pants, pale pink Ocean Pacific moccassins, pink Eddie Bauer down-filled vest, aviators, and Gongshow "Shamrock" hat (in white), black purse and of course, my camera.

While it definitely wasn't the most thrilling hockey experience of my life, I will definitely admit I did have a least a little bit of fun. I brought along my mp3 player and rocked out to some Whitesnake and assorted other hair metal and snapped away.


No comments:

Post a Comment