Saturday 9 April 2011

Hockey Night in Canada

In honour of today being the last Saturday night of the regular season (and the last Saturday night for a long long time for Leafs fans, teehee!) I thought I'd blog a little about my time in Montreal, and what we used to do on nights like these.

Whenever the Leafs would play the Habs, I'd invite over a bunch of my friends for a night of greasy appetizers, beers and laughs. Sometimes, if the Leafs were playing in Montreal, I liked to go down the five or six blocks from my house to the Leafs' hotel, and wish the boys good luck before the game (no big, no big .. I love Matty Stajan & Ian White .. just sayin! And Welly .. well, he's a snake!)


Parties usually began some time between 6:30 and 7, when the pre-game show was on, and I'd be in the kitchen whipping up goodies -- these photos here are of some veggies & roasted red pepper dip, and taco dip.

I also often had hot appies, usually chicken wings and egg rolls. I have been looking for a good receipe for warm dip. Spinach dip is good, and most people seem to like it. Shrimp rings were usually a big hit, and little appetizers from Presidents Choice -- the cheesy ones, or the greek phyllo pastry ones are good as well.

After coach's corner, I'd usually go grab some lighter munchies ... pretzels and chips are good, and sometimes we'd have olives, pickles and such.

Most of the time, the intent was to go out to the bar afterwards, but we'd usually end up running out of beer by the first intermission of the late game, and going to get another case usually resulted in aborting the bar missions.

If it's winter, make your back patio accessible for beer ... this is easier than trying to fit everyone's suds into the fridge. If you're not somewhere that this is an option, a bath tub or laundry tub full of ice will do. Or if you're really lazy, a cooler on the living room floor, which doubles as a foot stool and/or extra seat will do in a pinch.

The Habs and Canucks will have to carry Canada's playoff hopes this year, and as the season windows down for many of us (Oilers, Leafs, Sens and Flames) the real season is set to begin soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment