Monday 7 April 2014

Goin' Greek

Last week at Loblaws, all the President's Choice lasagnas and frozen dinners were on sale for FOUR BUCKS. They're regularly $10, so the freezer is now full of quick and easy dinners.

A few days later, at No Frills, I noticed another variety I hadn't seen at Loblaws a couple days prior (pickings are slim at the grocery store at 3 p.m. on a Sunday!) and since I had my flyer with me to stock up on another item Loblaws had been out of, I said, "Hey, I think I'll try that!"

So, we tried the Greek lasagna, and while the reviews on the website aren't that good (Here), we thought it was tasty and different from our usual fare. My dad is diabetic and my mom is on weight watchers. Both have high blood pressure, so we are careful with what we eat. The lasagna was not huge, but big enough to serve four. One quarter of the pan was only 380 calories, and had 24% of your daily recommended intake of fibre. It was also 35% of your daily salt.

Overall, for the price I paid, I was quite happy with it.

We had a Greek salad on the side, which worked out well, since I prepared it while the oven was heating, so it had some time to sit in the fridge so the flavours could blend.

GREEK SALAD

You can use any lettuce, I used romaine because that's what I had on hand.

- Five Cups Lettuce, washed and torn
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
- half a cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- feta cheese, crumbled or cubed (I used half a 250 gram package of Krinos light feta, which is in brine, so I chopped it into small pieces)
- oil/vinegar style dressing to taste (I typically use Kraft Greek feta dressing for this, but we had Kraft Italian Calorie Wise in the fridge so I used that)

Toss all ingredients together.

Squirt dressing in and toss to coat.

Chill in fridge approx. 20 mins to half an hour before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment