Thursday 9 June 2011

This one goes out to the one I love

Instead of blogging about how much I hate Manitoba (because that could go on for DAYS), this week's post is dedicated to one of the most amazing girls I have ever met. My friend Vikki is currently fighting cancer. In addition to being sassy, smart and just a little bit nerdy, she also has been a very good friend to me over the last 12 years, and to see her strength shine through despite the adversity she is facing, is truly an inspiration.

Vikki has a form of skin cancer, and recently posted a video to my Facebook profile about the importance of a) wearing sunscreen and b) checking your skin for any irregularities. These two things could help save your life.

We all know it's summer time and it's nice to get a tan ... for some, however, getting that golden glow might just take a turn for the worse. I was always a tad skeptical myself, but now that it's hit home, someone I love and cherish in my life is very sick, WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN.

Sunscreen is used to help prevent UVA and UVB rays from turning you into a lobster, giving you itchy and unsightly blistering and peeling, giving you wrinkles (ew!) and skin cancer. These rays "produce DNA damage that may lead to mutations in genes involved in the pathogenesis of skin cancer." UVB rays are the ones that toast your outer layer, turning you a lovely shade of red. UVA rays are the ones that cause long-term damage. A broad spectrum sunscreen is a good defence against both types. By blocking the harmful radiation that can cause these genetic mutations, you can cut your risk of developing skin cancer.

An easy way to work sunscreen into your day is to use a daily moisturizer with SPF in it -- plenty of brands carry options with sunscreen, including Olay and Clean & Clear. You can also find foundation with SPF in it as well. For those of us with sensitive skin, I recommend a special "face" sunscreen, as I have had allergic reactions in the past to regular sunblocks. I have also found using kids' sunscreen works, as it is less harsh on my skin.

I'm a big fan of things that smell delicious (probably why I continue to have allergic reactions to things, using them when I know they're full of perfume) but look how cute these are! These are new to the Life brand lineup at Shoppers, and cost around $12 ... the coconut lime after-sun spray and SPF 30 spray really do smell delicious. There was also a pomegranate Sunscreen I did not get the chance to smell-test, but likely also smells heavenly. It didn't have a matching after-sun mist, though.

For more sensitive gals, I have tried products from Vichy, Roc and La Roche Posay and not had any adverse reactions. I have also heard good things about the Clairns line, and surely L'Oreale must have something for sensitive skin.

After swimming or a lot of sweating (which if you live anywhere in the Windsor-Quebec City corridor, you likely did a lot of earlier this week) reapply your sunscreen. The recommended amount is about a shot-glass size ... give or take of course, but applying especially to sun sensitive areas like your shoulders, face and neck 15 minutes prior to exposure is the key.

On a day with a high UV rating, skin can begin to burn in only 15 minutes, so covering up with a hat, sunglasses and protective clothing also helps. I rarely ever go out without my sunglasses and hat .. and besides, it keeps you from squinting, which gives you wrinkles. (One of my fears about aging ... I can't bear the thought of being wrinkled up like a prune. Ahh!)

Protect your skin from the sun, and next time I'll talk a little about making yourself brown without being exposed to the sun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment